Exciting Events are Brr–ewing at Sommer Elementary!
- The BOOK FAIR started today & will run through next Wednesday. Late night is this Friday, Oct. 20.
- PTA Movie Night this Friday, Oct. 20! Bring your blankets and join us for popcorn & the movie, “Sing”. The book fair is open late, and the movie begins at 7pm.
- Got Box Tops!?! Each valid Box Top is worth 10 cents for our school and directly benefits every student through the purchase of PE equipment. The grade level with the most box tops turned in by Oct. 31 will earn an extra recess. See more information on the attached flyer: Box Tops Contest Flyer
- Our student council has been sponsoring a book fair to support other RRISD elementary schools and schools affected by the hurricane in Houston. Book fair ends tomorrow. Drop off books in the box outside of Mrs. Macre’s office.
- It’s Stuff the Boots time! This our one-time PTA fundraiser. All funds donated benefit ALL of our students by providing technology such as Chromebooks, ActivVotes, and MimioTeach (makes a white board interactive); guest speakers; authors; fun activities such as Movie Night, Passport to Sommer, and spring carnival; funds for teacher resources and enrichment club activities, and the list goes on…….Please consider supporting our students & school through your donation to our PTA funraiser.
- Red Ribbon week is next week. See below for dress up activities.
- Monday, Oct. 30 Free flu shots from RRISD & Healthy Schools (Return permission form “Teach Flu a Lesson” to classroom teachers)
- Join us for a tour around the world at Passport to Sommer on Friday, Nov. 3 from 5:30-8:30. Explore the seven continents visiting 16 countries throughout the world in this mini-Epcot Center experience. See flyer for more information.Passport to Sommer flyer
- SAVE the DATE: We will celebrate our families’ veterans on Friday, Nov. 10 during our Friday assembly. If you have family members who are now serving or have served previously in the armed forces, we would like to honor them through our “Wall of Heroes” and by inviting them to join us as our special guests. Check next week’s Enews for more information!
Book Fair Information
Our Fall Scholastic Book Fair will open after school on October 19th! Please stop by and shop for popular and timely titles for everyone in your family. Funds raised will benefit our library program, helping to pay for auth
or visits, books, library supplies, and events such as the Bluebonnet Breakfast. Our goal this fall is $18,000 in sales! You can shop
online from October 9th-26th at http://onlinebookfairs.
Books ordered online will be delivered to the school with no extra shipping charges!
Our school spelling bee will be held over the next month. Round 1 will be a “paper bee” held in all 2nd-5th grade classrooms on Oct. 23. Top scorers in 2nd & 3rd grades will be recognized and top 4th/5th grade students will participate in the 2nd round of the bee on Oct. 30. There will be a parent meeting on Nov. 6in the library for parents of students who qualify for the bee. The campus spelling bee will be held on Nov. 28 from 5-8 in the cafeteria.
“Within Reach” All of our goals, wishes, & dreams are within reach! And so is the deadline to turn in your Reflections entries! Last year, we had over 200 entries in the areas of visual arts, photography, written expression, dance, and music. We had the most entries advance to the district level and several to the state level. First grader, Vishwak Senan P. Ashokkumar’s entry was a national level winner with his entry, “My Goal is to become an Astronaut”. Get those entries in! We can’t wait to celebrate the amazing talent of our students again this year!
- Oct. 20 7:35 Friday Assembly K-2
- Oct. 20 Last day to donate books for Student Council Book Drive
- Oct. 20 Last day of the nine weeks
- Oct. 20 PTA Movie Night: Come “Sing” with us!! (Book Fair open late)
- October 23-27 Red Ribbon Week Activities
- Monday-“I’m a JEAN-ius! No drugs for me!” Wear jeans & a red shirt.
- Tuesday-“SOCK it to drugs!” Wear crazy socks.
- Wednesday-“TEAM up against drugs!” Wear your favorite sports shirt or a Sommer t-shirt
- Thursday-“Say PEACE OUT to Drugs!” Wear tie dye & peace signs
- Friday-“Let’s be CRAZY about being drug free!” Crazy hair day
- Oct. 23 1st Round Spelling Bee for 2nd-5th grades
- Oct. 25 3:30 Site-Based Advisory Committee in the Library
- Oct. 30 All Reflections entries due
- Oct. 30 E3 Health Alliance Free Flu Clinic
- Oct. 30 2nd Round Spelling Bee for 4th/5th grades
- Oct. 30 Reflections Entries Due
- Nov. 1 McNeil Learning Community Forum at Pearson Ranch MS 6:30-7:30
- Nov. 2 TAG Testing Information Night 5:45-6:45
- Nov. 2 Report cards go home
- Nov. 3 PASSPORT TO SOMMER!! 5:30-8:30
- Nov. 6 Spelling Bee Parent Information meeting
- Nov. 8 Judging Day for PTA Reflections
- Nov. 10 Veterans Day Assembly 7:35
- Nov. 20-24 Thanksgiving Break