I hope that you had a fabulous weekend! Our first whole school assembly on Friday was awesome as we gathered together to celebrate the start to the new year. Fifth graders from Miss Gagliardi’s class, Preyesh, Jia, Kylie, Amrutha, and Shreyas were absolutely amazing as they shared their thoughts on leadership. Speaking in front of 1300 people (students & staff) did not faze them the slightest bit! Talk about empowered World Class Leaders & Life-Long Learners! It is going to be a GREAT year!
- Sept. 5 Last day for reservations for Kindergarten Grandparents’ Day Luncheon: Reservation Form: https://goo.gl/7x72nC
- Sept. 5 5:00 Parent Information Night: 4th Grade…Session will begin in the cafeteria whole grade level and then break into separate rooms with teacher teams
- Sept. 6 5:00 & 6:00 Parent Information Nights: Kinder & 5th Grade (Two Sessions) In order to find parking, please do not arrive too early for the 2nd session (5-10 minutes will be fine)!
- Sept. 7 6:00 PTA General Meeting and Club Night…Come hear about our school-sponsored clubs & enrichment opportunities.
- Sept. 8 Grandparents’ Day Lunch for Kindergarten Students
- Sept. 14 & 15 Vision & Hearing Screening
- Sept. 15 7:35 Friday Assembly: 3rd-5th Grades
- Sept. 22 7:35 Friday Assembly: Kinder-2nd Grades
- Sept. 22 8:15 2nd Cup of Coffee with the Principal-Join me for an informational session sharing our campus philosophy, goals and celebrations. Information on our campus progress will be shared as well.
- Sept. 27 3:30 Site-Based Advisory Committee
- Oct. 9 Student Holiday & Parent Conferences
- Oct. 10 Student Holiday & Staff Professional Learning Day
Help for Hurricane Harvey Victims:
What an amazing community we have! I heard about so many community fundraisers that took place throughout the weekend. You made me proud to be a “work day” member of Avery Ranch!
What’s Up at Patsy Sommer?
As you know the recovery for many in the affected areas will be long and slow. Mrs. Hafner, fifth grade teacher, has a personal connection to a teacher at Carroll Elementary in Sheldon ISD. Our plan is to adopt this campus and its community as they return to school. Sheldon is a small district outside of Houston. They are currently working to assess the damages although according to the district website, it appears that Carroll Elementary is operable. Students, however, will not return to school until Sept. 18. We are working with RRISD and the principal at Carroll Elementary to determine how we are able to support the campus with supplies, backpacks, etc. We hope that this support will grow into a partnership between both campuses in which we both can benefit as our students write letters of encouragement and our teachers connect with theirs. Watch for more information on Lending a Helping Hoof! Colts + Stallions= A Friendly Herd
Want to Help Now?
SUPPORT those in need from HURRICANE HARVEY! PTA will be putting together relief kits requested by Mayor Adler. You can view the list and his demonstration here – http://www.mayoradler.com. To purchase items via the PTA Amazon Wish List, please go to https://www.amazon.com/gp/r
Patsy Sommer Elementary is a green campus. The majority of our information will be shared via School Messenger, our campus and teacher websites, Facebook, and Twitter. (Remind is coming! Watch for details!) If you prefer to receive flyers and information via paper copies, please complete the Paper Copy Google Form: https://goo.gl/yDKheF by Friday, Sept. 8.
School Clubs & Enrichment Opportunities:
We are happy to offer several enrichment opportunities for our students that focus on academics, leadership, fine arts, wellness, creativity, and critical thinking. Next Thursday, Sept. 8, sponsors will share information concerning each of their activities. In order to keep a workable student-adult ratio, some sessions may limit the numbers of students who may participate. This will ensure that we only offer high quality enrichment activities. Although we believe in providing these opportunities, we also feel strongly that students should be able to relax and play through unscheduled time and informal family activities. For this reason, students will be limited to the number of clubs in which they enroll. Enrollment for clubs will open next Thursday night during the meeting (computers will be available for use) and remain open until midnight on Sept. 11. Rather than signing up for actual clubs, you will record your child’s top choices. More information will be shared on Sept. 7.